Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My name is Jenna!

Hello. My name is Jenna!
I made this name on the last day of March this year. At that time, I started my U.S. life with the name and I’m interning at the World Affairs Council of Harrisburg now.

My given name is Jihye in my country, South Korea. Before I came to the U.S., I was studying French and Economics at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies. I have been always interested in international affairs and lives overseas. I have been trying to get a chance to go out to the world and I got several chances to do so. The experience in other countries was really great for me. I was really happy when I stayed in a new country and I communicated with foreign people there. Getting to know different people and things from me and mine is very exciting to me!

Living in America was one of my dreams that I want to fulfill in my 20’s. It is derived from my visit to Seattle during high school. I spent 10 days in Seattle and some areas in Canada. At that time, I met some Korean-Americans and I realized that life in the U.S. is different from that in Korea. Big, Green and Relax. The 3 words were images of America for me. I have wanted to feel those again.

My wish that was made at that time was realized last winter. I was picked by the Korean government for the exchange program WEST. The program includes language study and internship in the U.S. I thought I could get many things from this program. I could study English at the U.S. College and I could work with Americans so I could know real American life. I was really excited to come here and I arrived in Virginia on 31st March, 2011.

What I could see as soon as I arrived was too many Korean. The area where I would live was the biggest Korean town in the east of America, Annandale. My house was not in Annandale exactly, but very close to Annandale and my school was located in Annandale. Virginia was big, green like that I remembered as America. But there are too many Korean people and stores and I couldn’t feel that I was in real America.

During 4 month, what I love the best was the trip to nearby areas. America has great and beautiful nature. I think it is the big assess to makes American people relaxed. I could see really BIG and GIANT! It has really wide and wonderful sea, lakes and parks. I know there are more things that I have not seen yet. I hope I can see greater things.


 After living in Virginia, I moved here to Harrisburg because of my internship. Harrisburg is different from Virginia. More quiet and more peaceful. The biggest difference is that there are no Koreans in my area. I could find only a few Asians. Actually, I don’t know what life in Harrisburg is but I expect that I can get to know more about American’s life and American. I think here is real America!

I love also my office. Harrisburg is calm but the WAC of Harrisburg is lively. Actually, I was surprised that it holds a lot of events. That’s beyond my expectation and that will make me enjoyable! The fact that the events are about global issues makes me excited because I can get to know about more countries as well as the U.S.A.

I am sure living in Harrisburg and working with the WACH will be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment